Monday, April 6, 2015

Third Visual Arts Project

Saying this project was difficult is a bit of an understatement. I found clay at Walmart and decided to use that as my medium for my sculpture. What I found out about myself is that I need a lot more practice with molding clay.





Here is my reflection...

For my second art project I chose sculpture. When I think of sculpture, I think of an object that stands on its own and stands tall. I have air dry clay at home that I thought would be perfect for this project. I knew I needed a something to support the clay to make it stand tall on its own. I made a disc and stuck a straw in it. I then wrapped clay around the straw to cover the straw completely. After this, I was stuck and did not know what to do next. I guess I visualized a flower, but I tried to make it fanciful. I wrapped clay around the stem in a way that looked like stripes on a candy cane. My flower looked lonely, so I decided to make some smaller flowers that had not bloomed yet. When I finished, I felt that my project was strange at that I didn’t have much meaning behind it. That being said, I did not care, for I thought it was pretty. Unfortunately as my sculpture started to dry, pieces fell off. On my drive to school, more pieces came off. My sculpture did not succeed in staying together, which was upsetting. I think that it was because of the way I stuck the pieces together. The process of making my sculpture was relaxing and almost therapeutic, but watching it fall apart was not fun.

After talking with you, I decided to use a little salt dough to make the base larger and patch up the part that split. It is stronger now and hopefully won’t fall apart more. It is still a piece of art in my eyes even though it didn’t turn out the way I thought. This to me is similar to life itself, though things don’t always turn out the way we want, life still creates those moments that are memorable and beautiful.




No comments:

Post a Comment